Trin United Inc-VITA program offers free tax help to people who generally make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
What you will bring with you to the site –
• For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
• Photo identification for you and your spouse (if married)
• Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse, and dependents
• Birth dates for you, spouse and dependents
• A copy of last year’s tax return
• All Forms W-2, 1098, and 1099
• Information for other income
• Information for all deductions/credits
• Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
• For direct deposit of refund, proof of account and bank’s routing number
• For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
Would you like to become a volunteer? There is no prior experience required.
You will receive training to become IRS-Certified to provide free tax help for low-to-moderate income families who need assistance preparing their tax returns.
These are the volunteer roles.
Greeter/Screener – You greet everyone visiting the site to create a pleasant atmosphere. You screen taxpayers to determine the type of assistance they need and confirm they have the necessary documents to complete their tax returns. Tax law certification is not required for this position.
Interpreter – You provide free language interpreter services to customers who are not fluent in English. Basic tax knowledge is helpful, but it is not required for this position.
Site Administrator/Coordinator – You have excellent organizational and leadership skills. You are the primary resource for sharing your knowledge of the program and are available to assist with any issues that may arise. You develop and maintain schedules for all volunteers to ensure adequate coverage, supplies and equipment at your site. Tax law certification is not always required for this position.
Tax Preparer – You complete and successfully certify in tax law training, including the use of electronic filing software, to provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers.
Quality Reviewer – You review tax returns completed by volunteer tax preparers, ensuring that every taxpayer receives top quality service and that the tax returns are error-free. You must be tax law certified at least at the Intermediate level.